Financial Aid and Federal Aid Authorization

Financial Aid

For information regarding Financial Aid, please click here.

Federal Aid (Title IV funds)

UM must obtain the voluntary permission from the student to apply federal financial aid proceeds to charges other than tuition, mandatory fees, and room and board contracted by the University. Federal Aid, also known as Title IV funds, include Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Federal Perkins Loan. 

Will authorizing Federal Aid (Title IV funds) help me?

Yes. By signing the form, any excess Title IV funds will be permitted to be applied to prior non‐allowable charges as well as any future charges. If the authorization is not complete and there are non-allowable charges on the student's account, such as health insurance or a parking pass charge, then those charges will not be paid. In which case, it is the student's responsibility to pay for the non-allowable charges with "other" type of funds before the semester's due date. As such, signing the form will help prevent an “account hold” for unpaid charges, which would prohibit the student from registering and enrolling in future semesters, obtaining grades/transcripts, and receiving their diploma.